Were You Expecting to arrive at Heal and Forgive? If so you were re-directed to my new blog.

The Heal and Forgive blog was born out of the publication of my first book, “Heal and Forgive.” I am happy that the blog has been helpful to a robust readership.

After my publisher recently went out of business the book was re-released under the title, “Mother, I Don’t Forgive You,” which is more in keeping with the premise of the book. I decided to re-title my blog along with the book.

I hope you will continue to peruse the posts and join in on the various discussions including our right as survivors to decide our own healing journey, with or without forgiveness.

The back story on the title change can be found on the post directly below:

Featured Post

Mother, I Don’t Forgive You – Why the Book and Blog Were Re-Titled

In 1992, after nearly a decade of trying desperately to forgive my mother, my life was spinning out of control.   Not only had I failed at f...

Friday, March 21, 2008

Honor Thy Mother and Father?

For many years, I struggled with the "Honor Thy Mother and Father" scenario, because I no longer had a relationship with my mother. Other abuse and estrangement survivors have indicated this to me as well.

One day, I realized that I was honoring Mom even though I didn't have contact with her. I recognized that not engaging in the toxicity and living my life with dignity and integrity - did honor my Mother.

I've always loved my Mother. Even during the time that I did not feel safe enough to see her. Now that we have reconciled, I honor her by maintaining my boundaries, taking responsibility for my own well-being, respecting our historical bond, and accepting her for who she is.

This is an interesting article written from the Christian perspective:

Honor My Mother and Father?
By Nancy Ortberg

No comments:

Post a Comment