Were You Expecting to arrive at Heal and Forgive? If so you were re-directed to my new blog.

The Heal and Forgive blog was born out of the publication of my first book, “Heal and Forgive.” I am happy that the blog has been helpful to a robust readership.

After my publisher recently went out of business the book was re-released under the title, “Mother, I Don’t Forgive You,” which is more in keeping with the premise of the book. I decided to re-title my blog along with the book.

I hope you will continue to peruse the posts and join in on the various discussions including our right as survivors to decide our own healing journey, with or without forgiveness.

The back story on the title change can be found on the post directly below:

Featured Post

Mother, I Don’t Forgive You – Why the Book and Blog Were Re-Titled

In 1992, after nearly a decade of trying desperately to forgive my mother, my life was spinning out of control.   Not only had I failed at f...

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Forgiveness Poll

Back in March I started a 60 day poll on forgiveness. Thank you to all who participated! I love receiving your feedback.

My own feelings about forgiveness continually change:

· At one point, I wanted to forgive, but I didn’t know how.

· Then I took a stab at “forced” forgiveness – and got hurt again!

· For many years after that, I was very angry about the pressure I felt from others to forgive, because I knew that forgiveness wasn’t healthy for me at that point.

· I was so hurt, that I was sure that I would never forgive.

· Then, I decided I wouldn’t forgive unless certain conditions were met.

· After years of healing, safety (and estrangement), I was surprised to find myself “feeling” forgiving.

· I came to believe that forgiveness was a journey that may - or may not have a final destination - after adequate healing has taken place.

· Eventually, my mother called me (after 14 years of estrangement), and apologized for my abuse – this afforded me a new level of forgiveness otherwise not available without her participation.

I’ve learned to respect each necessary part of my process and the varying viewpoints I have had along the way – and to support other individual’s experiences with forgiveness and/or not forgiving. During the span of the last thirty years – given where I was on my recovery at the time - I could have voted for seven out of the eleven choices here.

I decided to continue the poll indefinitely with my continued thanks to all who participate. Your views are most welcome! Thank You!

To date, these are the results:

Poll: How much has forgiveness played a role in your recovery from abuse:
 ·        None – I don’t think about forgiveness at all.                                 1 – 3%
·        Somewhat – Plays a small roll in my process.                                2 – 7%
·        Somewhat - I don’t want to forgive and I’m okay with that.    1 – 3%
·        Somewhat – Forgiveness is a journey and I’m comfortable     9 – 34%
with my pace.
·        Quite a bit – I’d like to forgive, but I am unable.                               1 – 3%
·        Quite a bit – I won’t forgive unless some conditions are met. 2 – 7%
·        Quite a bit – I have forgiven.                                                                            3 – 11%
·        Huge - I’ll never forgive.                                                                                      1 – 3%
·        Huge – Makes me angry. I feel damaged by pressure from      4 – 15%
others to forgive.
·        Huge – My abuser acknowledged my injuries, asked for           1 – 3%
forgiveness and I have forgiven.
·        None of the above.                                                                                                      1 – 3%


2 comments:

  1. I thought I had forgiven even though my parents never asked for forgiveness or admitted the abuse and I was not/am not speaking to them. However, I wasn't healing and didn't understand. I was trying to pretend I was healing but I was having nightmares, chronic pain, depression etc.

    Truly, it was with the help of my therapist, your site and your book that I began to see that I was covering anger I had not dealt with. I began to feel my anger and it didn't destroy me and I didn't use it destructively. I used it to feel stronger and in control of my life and to stand up to those who felt I should forgive, forget and move on.

    I am in a good place. I haven't forgiven but I also don't hate my parents, I don't wish them ill will and cannot be in contact with them at this time. But, I am not ruling out the thought that all could change some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tamara,

    Thank you for sharing. My experience is/was much the same as yours.

    I’m glad you are in a good/better place after beginning to honor your true feelings.

    Best wishes for your continued healing,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete