Were You Expecting to arrive at Heal and Forgive? If so you were re-directed to my new blog.

The Heal and Forgive blog was born out of the publication of my first book, “Heal and Forgive.” I am happy that the blog has been helpful to a robust readership.

After my publisher recently went out of business the book was re-released under the title, “Mother, I Don’t Forgive You,” which is more in keeping with the premise of the book. I decided to re-title my blog along with the book.

I hope you will continue to peruse the posts and join in on the various discussions including our right as survivors to decide our own healing journey, with or without forgiveness.

The back story on the title change can be found on the post directly below:

Featured Post

Mother, I Don’t Forgive You – Why the Book and Blog Were Re-Titled

In 1992, after nearly a decade of trying desperately to forgive my mother, my life was spinning out of control.   Not only had I failed at f...

Monday, May 15, 2017

Mother, I Don’t Forgive You – Why the Book and Blog Were Re-Titled

In 1992, after nearly a decade of trying desperately to forgive my mother, my life was spinning out of control.  Not only had I failed at forgiveness, I had also failed to even begin to heal from my severely abusive childhood.

 I heard from friends, relatives, therapists, and Christians, that I needed to forgive in order to heal; however, no one could adequately answer my questions:


·       “Why am I required to forgive, but my mother is not required to stop behaving abusively? 

·       How can I forgive someone who stole my innocence with physical and emotional violence?

·       How can I forgive somebody who has never asked to be forgiven; someone who has never even acknowledged any wrongdoing; somebody who continues to inflict the same pain?

·       Doesn’t the Bible say, ‘If your brother sins, rebuke him; and IF he repents, forgive him’ (Luke 17:3).

·       Isn’t there a point where self-preservation comes first?”

The answer was always the same.  “Forgiveness is for you, not for her.  You are only hurting yourself by hanging on to anger and resentment!”


The problem with that answer was, I wasn’t holding on to anger and resentment.  I just wanted to heal.  It wasn’t anger and resentment that was hurting me; it was the pain of continued abuse. 

I searched for books by abuse survivors who could provide a road map for healing that didn’t include forgiveness.  After failing to find any examples, I had some modest success when I performed my own psychological research into the possibility of healing without forgiving.

When I finally mustered the courage to buck societal expectations; not to forgive; and to put my own healing and well-being first, I achieved a level of healing that I never thought was possible. My period of NOT forgiving created the space necessary to achieve the greatest emotional growth of my life.

Feeling pressured to forgive by my community had been so lonely and painful, I decided to write the book I had always been searching for.  I wanted to provide a road map for others like me, whose healing was impeded by forced forgiveness.  Maybe they wouldn’t spend years stalled in the same unnecessary pain that had plagued me.  However, I quickly found that no one would publish a book titled, “Mother, I Don’t Forgive You,” so I abandoned my manuscript.

For close to another decade, I enjoyed further healing and growth.  Ironically, the unintentional by-product of this healing was – eventually – forgiveness.

At that time, I realized that the old adage, "Forgive and Heal," was backwards. So in 2004, I updated and re-titled my old manuscript, "Heal and Forgive" and found a publisher.

Unfortunately, I knew that the very people I was trying to reach would not read a book titled, “Heal and Forgive.”  Like my target audience, I didn’t even want to hear about forgiveness after the attempts I made to forgive too soon damaged me deeply and left me open to further injury.  
Recently, my publisher went out of business and control of the title reverted back to me.  I decided to re-release with my original title, “Mother, I Don’t Forgive You: A Necessary Alternative for Healing.”


A reader recently asked me this question about my post: 

“Can you say more about this part? "Ironically, the unintentional by-product of this healing was – eventually – forgiveness."

My answer is in this post:

The Unintentional By-Product of my Healing

10 comments:

  1. Great. Finally, somebody who understands. I can't forgive my mother either, and I'm not going to until it happens naturally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,

      Thank you for your comment!

      I'm glad I was able to offer you validation.

      Kudos to you for taking care of yourself!

      All my best to you on your continued journey,
      Nancy

      Delete
  2. I needed this! I've been estranged from my mother for a little over year, and have received little to no support from other family members who constantly tell me to "just forgive and let go"
    Often times I feel so alone in my decision to cut my toxic mother out of my life. I'm a black woman, and in my community, cutting off your mother is seen as completely taboo, even if she is abusive. So reading this article made me feel less alone, and I'm going to order your book just as soon as I finish writing this comment. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anonymous,

    My apologies. I missed two comments under moderation; one being yours. I am so sorry!

    I know first-hand just how taboo it is to cut off your mother - know matter how abusive she is! I also know how difficult it is to find support.

    I am glad that my article made you feel less alone. I am happy any time the sharing of my experience helps someone else! Thank you for letting me know.

    I wish you all the best on your continued journey.

    Stay strong!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you are doing for a healing community here.

    I finally came to the conclusion that forgiveness was for my part in it (even if it was just being born to her). I forgave myself and to heck with her - You can't forgive someone who is not sorry. You can just get them out of your life if they continue to reabuse.

    Difficult topic and you are handling it beautiful here. It is so hard to do because so many of those around us women say, "You can't cut off your mother." I had one co-worker tell me you can't go no contact, just write her once a month and let her know how you are doing."

    This is after sharing some of the abuse with her at that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anastasia,

    Thank you for your encouragement.

    So true - the decision to cut-off our mother's is often met with condemnation. I always thought people should condemn my mother for her abuse rather than condemn me for self-preservation!

    It's a tough road, but is at times the healthiest decision one can make.

    Thank you again!

    Stay strong,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nancy,

    Can you say more about this part?

    "Ironically, the unintentional by-product of this healing was – eventually – forgiveness."

    Could you describe it or storyline it a bit?

    ReplyDelete

  7. Thank you for your question. I began writing a short answer here, but decided to make a post out of your question.

    The post is titled, "The Unintentional by-product of my Healing," dated 5/14/20.

    Thank you again!

    My best,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. The healing title is really creative

    ReplyDelete