Were You Expecting to arrive at Heal and Forgive? If so you were re-directed to my new blog.

The Heal and Forgive blog was born out of the publication of my first book, “Heal and Forgive.” I am happy that the blog has been helpful to a robust readership.

After my publisher recently went out of business the book was re-released under the title, “Mother, I Don’t Forgive You,” which is more in keeping with the premise of the book. I decided to re-title my blog along with the book.

I hope you will continue to peruse the posts and join in on the various discussions including our right as survivors to decide our own healing journey, with or without forgiveness.

The back story on the title change can be found on the post directly below:

Featured Post

Mother, I Don’t Forgive You – Why the Book and Blog Were Re-Titled

In 1992, after nearly a decade of trying desperately to forgive my mother, my life was spinning out of control.   Not only had I failed at f...

Friday, April 11, 2008

The Many Sides of Estrangement

During the last several years, I have had the opportunity to correspond with many individuals suffering from the effects of family estrangement. I’ve learned much through this experience.
I've heard of many different circumstances causing a family cut-off: disapproval of choice of mate, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, career choice's, money, addictions, abuse, in-laws......Usually, the cause of the family rift has been building for years without adequate communication. Then, a single event "appears" to have caused the rift.
My heart breaks for anyone dealing with the anguish of family cut-offs. I’ve heard from inconsolable parents whose adult children refuse to see them, and adult children who have been rejected by a parent. Some estrangements involve siblings, whole families, or one person ostracized from the rest of the family. No matter the “side” or the circumstances, I identify with our common thread – the void – a hole in our hearts where our family members used to be.
I can relate to other adult children who have been rejected by a parent or who feel orphaned after making the painful decision to sever an abusive relationship. Yet, not all estrangements are the result of abuse. I can also empathize with the pain parents express who have been rejected by an adult child and don’t understand why. As a mother myself, I can’t think of anything more painful than to lose a child under any circumstances. No matter the cause of the family rift, cut-offs are excruciating stuff! We all express the same emotions; hurt, anger, sadness, blame, fear, disbelief……
A few estrangement resources available on the web:

Healing Estranged Relationships, Inc.

Joshua Coleman, Ph.D.

Mark Sichel, LCSW


No comments:

Post a Comment