Were You Expecting to arrive at Heal and Forgive? If so you were re-directed to my new blog.

The Heal and Forgive blog was born out of the publication of my first book, “Heal and Forgive.” I am happy that the blog has been helpful to a robust readership.

After my publisher recently went out of business the book was re-released under the title, “Mother, I Don’t Forgive You,” which is more in keeping with the premise of the book. I decided to re-title my blog along with the book.

I hope you will continue to peruse the posts and join in on the various discussions including our right as survivors to decide our own healing journey, with or without forgiveness.

The back story on the title change can be found on the post directly below:

Featured Post

Mother, I Don’t Forgive You – Why the Book and Blog Were Re-Titled

In 1992, after nearly a decade of trying desperately to forgive my mother, my life was spinning out of control.   Not only had I failed at f...

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Reconciliation – Recovery time

Each time I had contact with one of my family members, I needed recovery time to absorb a wide range of conflicting emotions: sadness, joy, uncertainty, hope, sorrow, and issues of trust. Contrary to the old ways, of “powering” through each event, I remained present with my feelings, staying true to myself and let my well-being guide me.

At first my movements were slow and tentative. I kept my visits brief and didn’t discuss difficult issues that came up with my family until I had time to work through intense emotions alone or with supportive friends.

I took baby steps while I began to build trust – both in myself and with my family members.

2 comments:

  1. Nancy: I have yet to go see my father who is in a nursing home with alzheimers. I didn't go see him on Father's Day, and it did bother me because I didn't go, I am trying to get the courage to go see him soon again, but everytime I try it brings back bad memories. I feel guily beause I had promised my mom I would see him. Taking baby steps is a great thing to do, and mabye that is what I need to do also, thanks for a great post..Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    Even pondering is a baby step.

    Ultimately, we should do whatever gives us the most peace - whether it is going or not going.

    If you do go see your father, make sure you place your own well-being first during the visit, and have a good support person (or system) to either take with you or to help "debrief" you afterwards.

    Take care,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete